Welcome Dayton is a community initiative that reflects the City of Dayton’s commitment to diverse and inclusive communities. The Welcome Dayton effort promotes immigrant integration into the Greater Dayton region by encouraging business and economic development; providing access to education, government, health and social services; ensuring equity in the justice system; and promoting an appreciation of arts and culture.
The purpose of the Welcome Dayton Office at the Human Relations Council is to facilitate and support community goals and projects that promote the integration of immigrants into the Greater Dayton community. This local initiative focuses on ensuring those who live in the Dayton community have access to services, equal opportunity, fair treatment and safe neighborhoods.
As a result of conversations between the City of Dayton’s government, non-profit, and business sectors, the Welcome Dayton Plan was created and the City of Dayton Commission unanimously adopted it as a framework in October of 2011. Welcome Dayton encourages commitments and engagement by the broader community, as opposed to being just another government-run program.
During its short life span, Welcome Dayton has a list of community-wide accomplishments. Highlights include:
- Increasing positive community police relations
- Building community through the arts
- Supporting English language learners through additional academic and family programming
- Increasing access to City of Dayton services for limited English proficient residents
- Changing perceptions of immigrants through positive media coverage
- Building awareness of existing immigrant friendly services offered throughout the private and public sectors
Read the Welcome Dayton Plan that initiated the Welcome Dayton Initiative.